Lutheran Senior Services (LSS) is committed to providing you with a comprehensive benefits package that’s an important part of your total compensation. These benefits include a wide range of options designed to meet the financial and health care needs of you and your family. Please find all the information you’ll likely need throughout this comprehensive website, including recorded presentations that provide a narrated overview of each benefit. (view all of these presentations here.) If you have any questions, contact your Human Resources department.
Other Benefits Pages
- View Page 1 (Medical, Wellness, Dental, Vision, FSA)
- View Page 2 (Time Off, Retirement, Education, Discounts, EAP and other benefits)
- Currently Viewing Page 3 (Life/Disability/Voluntary Benefits)
- View Page 4 (“LSS Benefits Orientation” recorded presentations)
On This Page:
Click on the plus sign (+) next to the topic you’d like to open. Click the minus sign (-) to close it again.
Life & Disability Insurance
Unum - Basic Life, AD&D, LTD
Your LSS Life and Disability benefits are provided through Unum. You are provided Basic Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability coverage at no cost. You may elect to purchase additional Voluntary Life, Spouse Life and Child(ren) Life. To learn more about these benefits, click on the sections below.
Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
As a benefits-eligible Employee, LSS provides you Basic Life and AD&D (accidental death & dismemberment) insurance at no cost to you. Coverage becomes effective the 1st day of the month in which your 90th day of FT employment occurs. Basic Life benefits provide payment equal to one year’s salary if you pass away, and AD&D benefits pay out up to that same amount depending upon the circumstances. For specific information about the amount of benefits paid for dismemberment and/or bodily injuries, please refer to the plan’s certificate of coverage (coming soon). Premiums are paid 100% by Lutheran Senior Services and as an eligible employee, you are automatically enrolled. You may designate your beneficiary through Workday.
* Two additional benefits that are complimentary for all employees eligible for Basic Life and AD&D coverage include “Travel Assistance” and “Employee Assistance Program” (which can supplement your EAP benefits offered through Mercy). For more information on these complimentary benefits, please review the documents below.
Voluntary Life Insurance
Voluntary Life insurance may be purchased by benefit eligible employees. Premiums are paid through payroll deductions and are post-tax. The post-tax nature of these premium deductions means that you may make changes to your coverage elections at any time during the year (with or without a qualifying event).
Employees may purchase Voluntary life insurance in increments of $10,000, but no greater than five times his/her annual salary or a maximum of $500,000, whichever is less.*
Employees may purchase supplemental life insurance for themselves, and they may also purchase supplemental life insurance for their spouse and/or children. Life insurance for a spouse may be purchased in increments of $10,000, but no greater than $100,000 or 100% of the employee’s own purchased voluntary life insurance, whichever is less.*
Voluntary life insurance for children may be purchased in increments of $1,000 up to a maximum of $10,000. Dependent life coverage terminates at the age of 19 or 25 if a child is a full-time student.
You may enroll and/or make changes to your voluntary life insurance through Workday. Please be aware that all voluntary coverage may be subject to insurability, and may require the completion of an Evidence of Insurability form.
For more information on Voluntary Life, Spouse Life, Child(ren) Life, including but not limited to the employee premiums for this coverage, please review the detailed document below:
(Please note: PRN and Casual variable-hour employees who obtain benefit eligibility by averaging 30+ hours/week may not enroll in Supplemental Life Insurance benefits.)
Covered Maximum Amounts:
- Employee Optional Life: Increments of $10,000 to a maximum of the lesser of 5 times basic annual earnings or $500,000
- Spouse Dependent Life: Increments of $10,000 to a maximum of the lesser of 100% of employees benefit or $100,000
- Child Dependent Life: Increments of $1,000 up to $10,000
Voluntary Life Insurance’s “Guaranteed Issue” Amounts + “Evidence of Insurability (EOI)”
The employee must have supplemental (voluntary) life coverage for themselves in order to elect any supplemental spouse or child coverage. “Guaranteed Issue” is the dollar amount of coverage you are allowed to elect without having to provide evidence of insurability. “Evidence of insurability” is the requirement to provide medical history for the insurer to review before approving the insurance coverage elected.
- If it is your first opportunity to enroll in supplemental life insurance (i.e. you were just hired Full-time, or you have just become Full-time benefits-eligible due to a job change), your guaranteed issue amounts are:
- Employee Supplemental Life: Up to 3 times base earnings or $250,000, whichever is less
- Spouse Dependent Life: Up to $20,000
- Up to $10,000 (Children do not require evidence of insurability for any level of coverage)
- If you have already elected supplemental life insurance for yourself, when first eligible, your guaranteed issue amount for any increase later is:
- Up to a $10,000 increase per year during Annual Enrollment for Employee optional life (any increase greater than $10,000 will require an EOI) unless your benefit amount exceeds 3x base earnings or $250,000 (whichever is less); If your benefit coverage is at or above 3x/$250k, you must provide evidence of insurability for any size of increase during Annual Enrollment
- There is no guaranteed issue if increased at a time outside of Annual Enrollment
- There is no guaranteed issue for increases to spouse coverage
- If you did not elect supplemental life insurance when first eligible, you have no guaranteed issue and you will be required to submit an EOI for any type of election.
Additional Life and AD&D Documents
- Summary of Benefits - Unum Group Life & Accidental Death
- Certificate of Coverage - Unum Group Life & Accidental Death
Contact your local HR representative to get information on filing a Life Insurance Claim. They will contact the Benefit Department at our LSS home office to initiate the claim process.
Disability Insurance: Long Term Disability
To file an online LTD disability claim with Unum, please log onto this secure website: https://services.unum.com/SelfReg/SelfReg_Claimant.aspx (If you need help with registering, contact Unum at 877-225-2712.)
Once you have registered, you will also be able to:
- Download supplemental forms
- Check your claim status
- Upload personal information
Another option is to download the Unum mobile app – learn more about the Unum app here.
* If you’d prefer to submit a claim using paper forms, please contact your local HR representative. They will coordinate with the Home Office Benefit Team to initiate the claim process.
Long-Term Disability (LTD)
As a benefits-eligible Employee, LSS provides you Long Term Disability (LTD) benefits at 60% at no cost to you after one year of FT employment, if you become disabled and unable to work for 90 or more days. Coverage becomes effective the 1st day of the month following 12 months of FT employment.
Long-Term Disability coverage provides protection against the loss of your income in the event a disability prevents you from working and earning income for an extended period of time. Eligibility to receive benefits begins after you have been away from work for 90 days, due to an illness or injury. Maximum monthly benefit is $5,000.
After satisfying 1 year of continuous full-time or weekend option employment, all premiums are free to the employee and paid 100% by Lutheran Senior Services. Long term disability provides 60% of your regular pay after a 90-day elimination period has been satisfied.
For more information on your LSS Long Term Disability benefits, please review the documents below:
Additional LTD Documents
Voluntary Insurance Benefits (offered through Voya)
Voya - Critical Illness, Hospital & Accident
Lutheran Senior Services is pleased to offer you the option to purchase voluntary insurance benefits through Voya as a way to supplement your core LSS benefits. You may choose to purchase coverage through Voya’s Accident, Critical Illness, and/or Hospital Indemnity benefits. Coverage is completely voluntary, so you decide whether or not to purchase the benefits. If you do enroll, you will pay 100% of the premium (i.e. no LSS contribution) and the premiums will be conveniently deducted from your paycheck twice per month (24x per year) on a post-tax basis. The post-tax nature of these premium deductions means that you may make changes to your coverage elections at any time during the year (with or without a qualifying event).
There are no pre-existing condition exclusions, and all benefits are portable should you ever leave employment with LSS.
Please review the detailed documents below to learn more about these benefits and the coverage they provide, as well as the employee premiums you’ll pay for these benefits. You may enroll and/or make changes to your voluntary benefits through Workday.
- Accident Benefits and Rates - Voya 2021
- Critical Illness Benefits and Rates - Voya 2021
- Hospital Benefits and Rates - Voya 2021
- Hospital Indemnity and Other Fixed Indemnity Policies
- Your Accident Insurance Plan
- Your Critical Illness Insurance Plan
- Presentation: Benefits Orientation - Voya Voluntary Benefits
Filing a claim: Employees can file their claims online at www.voya.com/claims. (As you work through the online claim submission process, if a doctor’s statement is required a printable version of the form will be displayed for you to print and give to your doctor to complete.)
Voya Cares is a new, free service that provides resources and planning tools for those who are caregivers for household members with special needs. You don’t need to carry Voya benefits to access this service. It’s free and available to all. Visit www.voya.com/voyacares for more information.
For questions or more information, please contact Voya at 877-236-7564 or online at https://presents.voya.com/EBRC/lss (Our LSS group number is:70587-0.)